Malt-O-Meal® Breaks Ground on New Production Facility

malt-o-meal

North Carolina Plant to Expand Cereal Manufacturer’s U.S. Distribution Minneapolis, MN — June 25, 2007

Minneapolis based Malt-O-Meal® Company, the nation’s fourth laragest ready-to-eat cereal manufacturer, will hold a groundbreaking ceremony on Tuesday, June 26, for its newest manufacturing facility in Asheboro, N.C.

The groundbreaking will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the future Malt-O-Meal® plant site, in the north parking lot at the Asheboro Mill, Central Piedmont Industrial Park, 2525 Bank Street, Asheboro.

The facility will include a remodel of a 175,000 square foot building, formerly occupied by Unilever Best Foods, and new consturction of an additional 200,000 square feet. Operations for the facility will begin in late 2008. Malt-O-Meal® will employ more than 160 people by 2012.

The plant is the fourth in Malt-O-Meal’s distribution network, joining two plants in Northfield, Minn. and one in Tremonton, Utah. “The plant will serve as Malt-O-Meal’s East Coast manufacturing location, expanding our capacity and reach from New England to Miami,” says John Lettman, CEO, Malt-O-Meal® Company. “We are glad to be able to build upon an existing facility to bring jobs to the Asheboro region.”

“Randolph County is proud that Malt-O-Meal® has selected Asheboro for its new facility,” said Bonnie Renfro, president, Randolph County Economic Development. “We look forward to a long and successful history together with the creation of many new jobs and opportunities for our region.” Malt-O-Meal® selected the site after a year-long, multi-state search to expand its growing East Coast market, established with a 2002 acquisition of Quaker Oats Corporation’s bagged cereal division.

More than 25 million families eat Malt-O-Meal® breakfast foods each year. Its nationally distributed line of value-priced, cold cereal products feature nine brands in the category’s top 50, including Frosted Mini Spooners, Golden Puffs, Tootie Fruities and Cinnamon Toasters. In September, 2006, a leading product evaluation publication conducted a review of the cold cereal category. The Malt-O-Meal® cereals tested, ranked equally with leading cereals from General Mills and Kellogg’s, at a lower cost per serving.

Founded in 1919, Minneapolis-based Malt-O-Meal® Company produces over 30 different ready-to-eat cereals, three varieties of Malt-O-Meal® Hot Wheat cereal, and a full line of oatmeal products. Besides the company’s production facilities in Minnesota, Utah and North Carolina, Malt-O-Meal® operates distribution centers in Minnesota, Utah, Tennessee and Pennsylvania. For more information on the company, including where to buy Malt-O-Meal® cereals and how to join Cereal Central (an online community featuring tips on how to save money), visit http://www.maltomeal.com.

For more information contact:
Linda Fisher
North Woods Advertising
612-340-9999

9 Responses to Malt-O-Meal® Breaks Ground on New Production Facility

1. Rhonda Holt says:

Hi, I used to beable to find and buy the vanilla mini wheat squares, I love them and can no longer find that flavor…Has it been discontinued? If not where do I buy it and can it be ordered online?
    Thanks,
    Rhonda Holt
    Pleasant Grove, Utah 84062

2. Malt-O-Meal says:

Hi Rhonda,
    Thanks for stopping by to ask about Malt-O-Meal Vanilla Cream Mini
    Spooners cereal. You raise a great point. The good news is that while, some folks (including you) LOVED this product,there was not enough consumer demand to justify continuing with it. We love hearing that you enjoyed the product and reaching out. I’ll make sure to pass your feedback along to those who decide such things. We hope you will find other Malt-O-Meal cereals that you enjoy.

-Shannon
    Malt-O-Meal Consumer Affairs

3. Tonya Bravo says:

The problem is not that people don’t demand it, it is that the suppliers don’t offer it to the stores. I have asked and the stores tell me they are unable to order it anymore, because the suppliers take it off of the catalogs they have to order from.

Tonya Bravo

4. John Singletary says:

The problem IS that people don’t demand it! Companies want to make customers happy, just like M-O-M. Even if we desire products/flavors no longer carried by the manufacturer, we shouldn’t try to dig and discover the deep inner workings of why different people make different decisions within companies when it’s the consumers who made the ultimate decision. I have never tasted Vanilla Cream Mini Spooners and think it would be a great cereal to try. However, if millions of Americans decide that Vanilla Spooners aren’t the way to go, neither should the company which makes them.
    I, for one, am happy that companies like Malt-O-Meal still exist and thrive in our downturned economy. Thanks, M-O-M, and my three Marshmallow Matey-loving kids thank you, too.

5. Bonnie Cook says:

I, too, loved the Vanilla Cream flavor Mini Spooners and wondered what happened that my store stopped stocking it. Well, now I know. I guess your best customers are kids, and they just are not into the mini wheats kind of cereals. I know my grandson, who is 16, prefers the Marshmallow Mateys and the Fruit Loopey kinds of cereals. Well, I do like the regular Frosted Mini Spinners. PLEASE don’t stop making them. LOL

6. Cindi says:

I wanted to say I am glad to see a respectable , good company to come to Randolph County. I live in Randleman and was happy to know that our local people have an opportunity to work for Malt-O- Meal. As a loyal Malt-o- Meal consumer and lover of Marshmallow Mateys and Apple Zings ,, I welcome you to Asheboro. Thank You !

7. Maryann Raimo says:

I am considering relocating to Greensboro, NC and am glad Malt-O-Meal is opening this new facility. I am a HACCP certified food scientist and will check out the careers tab in your web page next. Great job with the Breakfast foods. I’d be proud to contribute if you’re thinking of adding staff in 2009.

Maryann Raimo

8. I always find this type of information very interesting!

9. My buddy and I got in an argument about this yesterday. Ill make sure to show him this post so he knows I was right. HA!